Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Pregnancy Chronicles: Weeks 5-8

It's time to play catch up. Even though I'm currently 13 weeks, I have to do a couple of backtracking posts. Weeks 5-8 covered the entire month of December. We had a lot going on due to the holidays, shopping & wrapping gifts, and then we had the whole interior of the house painted. Our house was turned upside down and we stayed with my parents during most of the "construction" days. This was lucky for me because I could park on the couch after work and let my mom fix me dinner and bring me snacks :)

How big is the baby?

In these weeks, the baby changed from the size of a sesame seed --> grain of rice --> blueberry --> raspberry. We have a lot of fun with the food size references. I think my dad is the biggest fan :)

How I'm feeling:

VERY tired. I could sleep for 11-12 hours one night, get up and eat breakfast, then feel like I needed a nap. I had to take breaks to sit down and rest in between parts of my morning routine. Shower. Sit. Brush hair. Sit to dry hair. Get dressed. Sit to put on makeup. I can't ever remember another time I was so constantly tired.

What I'm eating:
I am lucky that I haven't had morning sickness. During this very early stage of pregnancy, I learned I had to change my eating schedule. I used to eat 3 meals a day - small breakfast, large lunch (usually at a restaurant), and medium size dinner. I never ate snacks during the day. I learned that if I don't eat every couple of hours, I will start to feel sick. I went through short-lived cravings... ate a whole jar of pickles in one weekend, then haven't eaten any since. Chicken was my biggest craving. I wanted to eat chicken at least twice a day. The only big food aversion was Mexican food.

Weight: No change

Highlights:

We had two ultrasounds during these weeks. David was really nervous to go to them, but he made it through. We could see the heartbeat flicker at the 6 week ultrasound, then we heard the heartbeat at 7 weeks. It was the most amazing thing. Christmas was just 2 days before I was 8 weeks along, so we decided to announce the pregnancy to our extended families over the holidays. We told David's family on Christmas morning. We went to both of my grandparent's houses on Christmas eve day. I had my grandparents open a picture of the most recent ultrasound as their surprise. It was really fun and everyone is so excited to have a baby around! This will be the first grandchild on both sides of our family, and also the first great-grandchild for all of my grandparents. We spent the last week of December on vacation in Gatlinburg. We had a great time relaxing, reading, watching season 1 of Mad Men, and going to a magic show.

No comments:

Post a Comment