Monday, August 17, 2009

Treadmill Love



I hear people say all the time that they don't like running on treadmills. They only do it when there is no possible way that they can run outside, etc. I have to respect this point of view. Maybe they don't live in the south. Maybe they have superhuman cooling powers. In any case, I happen to love the treadmill ... especially in August. Here are the reasons for this love:

1. It is located in an air conditioned building and has a little personal fan that I like to set on high.
2. It has a personal TV & iPod dock.
3. I don't have to stop/slow to let a car pass and then try to come up with the motivation to pick up the pace again.
4.. There is a cute little place for my water bottle, phone, towel, etc.
5. If I faint or become otherwise incapacitated, someone will be close by to bring me smelling salts
6. I have the goofy, woozy leg feeling for a few minutes when I dismount. This reminds me of the few minutes post trampoline or moonbouncing activity.

With all that said, as of tonight, it does appear that the treadmill may not share the same affection for me. Right around the 15 minute mark of my treadmill adventure, I apparently felt very sleepy and subconsciously rested my eyes for a split second. Before I knew what was happening, my right foot was on a stationary platform, my left foot was still on the spinning belt, and my hands flailed to the side handle things to save me and I amazingly remained in an upright position. With a lot of grace, I stumbled back into place and pretended like nothing happened. Even though I had the music at a considerable volume, I still heard a sound as close to burning rubber as a tennis shoe and treadmill belt can make. And yes, there were three people behind me and one person right next to me. I'm sure they quite enjoyed what might have otherwise been a dull evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment